Hi friends! 2018 was such a great reading year. So far, I’ve read a total of 73 books and I enjoyed most of them. However, there are a few that I enjoyed more than others and haven’t stopped talking about. Without further ado, I present my completely subjective list of the best books I read in 2018.
A Few Rambling Thoughts
- The Kingdom of Copper is hands down the best book I read in 2018 and that was completely unexpected. I’m still shooked that I even got to read an early copy. The characters are still adorable and complex. The world is as magnificent as it was in The City of Brass. I can’t wait for everyone to read this book. Since TKOC doesn’t come out until January, my review will be posted closer to the release date.
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, The Song of Achilles, and The Serpent King are the only three books that made me cry this year.
- I wouldn’t have known about The Poppy War if the Twitter controversy hadn’t happened. I’m sorry it happened, but it made me aware of this book.
- The only reason I read An Ember in the Ashes is because of Brittany. Her love for this series blew me away and I took a chance despite my reservations. I’m so so happy I did. Not only did this become one of my all-time favorite series, I gained a friend in the process. THANK YOU EMBERLING QUEEN.
- Speaking of Queens, Queen of Air and Darkness wasn’t quite what I expected, but I was so satisfied with the way the series ended. I wish I could hold on to The Dark Artifices crew a little bit longer. I love them so much and I’m keeping a close eye out on new content. I miss them so badly that I’ve decided to re-read the series already.
- Born A Crime really surprised me because I don’t normally read memoirs by celebrities unless I’m a huge fan. I picked this up on a whim and it was such a treat.
Favorite Reads of 2018 Reviews
Unfortunately, time got away from me this year and I didn’t have the opportunity to review a few of the books on this list. I really wanted to, but I was still in grad school the first half of the year. Here are links to the ones I reviewed:
- The City of Brass by S.A. Charkaborty
- The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare
- Born A Crime by Trevor Noah
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Thanks for reading, bookish friends. What are the best books you’ve read this year? Let me know in the comments.