Hi book friends! Can you believe it’s already time for an end of year wrap-up? Personally, I’m not sad to see 2018 go so I won’t spend time reflecting like I did last year. It was a long year. My personal accomplishments feel overshadowed by the fact that this year was pretty much a wash. However, I’m moving forward. But before I do that, here’s a 2018 recap with lots of highlights and charts.
✔️ Goodreads: Going into 2018, my goal was to read 50 books. It seemed like an ambitious goal at the time because I was still in grad school and knew that I would be adjusting from school to the workplace the second half of the year. Somehow, I completed this goal 4 months ahead of time and managed to read 75 books this year. I’ve never read this many books before.
❎ Owned Shelf TBR: Read 1 to 2 books per month from unread shelf. I’m joining a backlist challenge next year because I failed so badly at this. I think my owned books actually went up.
✔️ Diversity: Read 1 book per month written by a person of color. 22 of the 75 books I read this year were written by POC. I need to do better next year, but I did complete the 2018 goal.
❎ Genre: Read 1 book per month from a genre I don’t typically read. I’m a failure. I read fantasy like my life depends on it.
2018 by the numbers
I’m not good at other things, but thanks for believing in me Goodreads.
Don’t laugh at me reading The Cat in the Hat. I needed a book with a cat on the cover for a readathon challenge. It got the job done.
God, I was so intimidated by Queen of Air and Darkness before its release. Somehow, I read it in 24 hours and I still wanted MOAR content.
As you can see by this rating break down, I enjoyed most of the books I read this year. My average rating was 4 stars. I think I’ve reached a point where I know what I like and tend to reach for those books more than others.
I like audiobooks and I cannot lie. I discovered the usefulness and ease of audiobooks towards the end of 2017 and my reading experience has changed so much. I listen to audiobooks on my commute, at work, and while doing chores.
Most of the books I read in 2018 were either books I owned or borrowed from the library. Most of my owned books were either purchased on sale/used, or gifted. Also, my public library is the real MVP of my reading life.
So much fantasy. So much YA. Will expand next year because my reading tastes have been slowly shifting.
53 of the 75 books I read this year were written by women. Only 16 were women of color. I accomplished my diversity reading goal by reading 22 books written by POC authors, but 22 is a paltry number. Need to do better in 2019.
Basically, I re-read Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare a million times in 2018. Sometimes, I didn’t even track it on Goodreads.Hands down the best book in The Dark Artifices trilogy.
Books read in 2018
Click arrow to see all 75 titles in reverse chronological order
I’m so thankful to everyone who has taken time to like, comment, and follow my little blog. As of this wrap up, my blog reached 384 followers this year and I published 127 blog posts. That’s a lot of posts. Here are the top 5 most popular ones:
- June Wrap Up – This is slightly strange because this was one of my worst reading months and one of the shortest wrap ups.
- 2018 Reading Goals Update – Maybe people liked the graphs? I don’t know.
- Longest Book I’ve Ever Read: Top Ten Tuesday – Lots of Harry Potter on this list.
- Bookstagram 101: The Basics – I still have a follow up post to this in my draft.
- August Wrap Up – The wrap up of the summer readathons that almost killed me. Lol. Also, WHY ARE WRAP UPS SO POPULAR?
- I GRADUATED. My biggest accomplishment this year was finishing my grad school. I’m so freaking happy because those two years were a struggle!
- I got a job in my field. I am gainfully employed and I am immensely grateful for that.
- I befriended some pretty amazing and supportive people in the book community. I’m afraid of leaving anyone out so I won’t attempt to name everyone, but I APPRECIATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU. YOU ARE ALL AMAZING.
- I READ MY MOST ANTICIPATED 2019 RELEASE. I’m still not over this. What is life?
- I reached over 1600 followers on #Bookstagram. My account was stuck between 1300-1323 followers for SIX months. I lost motivation to post at the beginning of the year and that reflected in my account growth. It started growing again in November. I appreciate every single person who stuck around and all the new followers.
- I reached over 600 followers on Twitter. I honestly don’t know how my Twitter account grew. It just happened. I’m currently at 666 so if anyone wants to be my 667 follower, I would appreciate that. The part of me that grew up going to church every Sunday is slightly freaked out about 666.
- I did not expect this tweet to blow up the way it did. I had to turn off my notifications because I was overwhelmed with the replies and quote retweets.
Well, that’s a wrap on 2018. How did you do this year with your personal and bookish goals? Let me know in the comments! As always, thanks for reading this little blog of mine!